Trump says he held off an Iran strike at Gulf states' request
President Trump says leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE asked him to delay a planned strike on Iran to allow for diplomacy, as Tehran sends its latest response to US peace proposals via mediator Pakistan.

President Trump said he called off a military strike on Iran that had been scheduled for Tuesday, after the leaders of three key Gulf allies personally asked him to hold back and give diplomacy more time.
Trump said the request came from Qatari Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, who urged him to pause military action because, in his words, "serious negotiations are now taking place." Trump said the goal of any deal would include "NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN" and that he had instructed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and others to stand down.
Iran Responds Through Pakistan
The announcement came as Iran's Foreign Ministry confirmed it had delivered a formal response to the latest US peace proposal via mediator Pakistan. Talks between the US and Iran are being mediated by Pakistan, and issues under discussion include freedom of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, Iran's nuclear and ballistic programme, reconstruction, and sanctions.
Iran has demanded compensation for war damage, an end to the US blockade of Iranian ports, and a halt to fighting on all fronts, while Washington has urged Tehran to dismantle its nuclear programme and lift its effective blockade on the Strait of Hormuz, which prior to the war carried roughly one-fifth of the world's crude oil and liquefied natural gas supply.
A Conflict With Global Economic Consequences
The pause is the latest development in a conflict that broke out in late February 2026 and has sent shockwaves through global energy markets. Financial and energy markets remained on edge over concerns about the negotiating impasse, with global oil benchmark Brent crude at one point hitting $126 a barrel, its highest level since March 2022.
Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and China have all been in close contact with Iran's foreign minister over mediation efforts, reflecting the breadth of international pressure to find a resolution. Despite the diplomatic activity, significant gaps remain. Earlier talks in Islamabad ended without a deal, with the main unresolved issues being Iran's nuclear programme and the status of the Strait of Hormuz. Whether the latest Gulf intervention can break that deadlock remains to be seen.
Sources:
The Hill: Trump says he will hold off on Iran attacks at request of Gulf states
Al Jazeera: Iran sends response to US proposal to end war via mediator Pakistan
UK House of Commons Library: US-Iran ceasefire and nuclear talks in 2026
Latest News
Read More...
Author
Crypto RichRich has been researching cryptocurrency and blockchain technology for eight years and has served as a senior analyst at BSCN since its founding in 2020. He focuses on fundamental analysis of early-stage crypto projects and tokens and has published in-depth research reports on over 200 emerging protocols. Rich also writes about broader technology and scientific trends and maintains active involvement in the crypto community through X/Twitter Spaces, and leading industry events.












